We have received an update from Ms Lindiwe Zulu, MP Minister of Social Development, regarding payments under Level 4 Lockdown:
- The SASSA local offices will be opening as from Monday, 11 May 2020. However, in compliance with government’s risk-adjusted approach to phasing in public services, the staff complement at these will only be limited to a third. This means that only a limited number of citizens will be served by predefined services. To manage the human traffic at these offices, SASSA will only attend to new applications for older persons on Mondays and Tuesdays. In this, priority will be given to persons who turned 60 years of age either just before or during the lockdown.
- Applications for child support and foster child grants will be done on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- Fridays will be reserved for those citizens who could not be served during the designated days. Additionally, Fridays will also be dedicated to finalising the outstanding applications that were received immediately before the lockdown.
- Under level 4 lockdown conditions, applications for disability grants, care dependency grants and grants-in-aid will not be considered. This is due to the fact that there is still restricted access to health facilities for the required medical assessments. SASSA is engaging the disability sector to advise them of this, but also to get suggestions as to how this can be managed with the least risk to this sector.
- As far as possible, citizens who have enquiries are requested to lodge these through the regional call centres. This will minimise the human traffic at SASSA’s local offices at any given time.
We appeal to our citizens not to bring young children to the offices. All persons who visit SASSA’s service centres should either wear face masks or adequately cover their mouths and noses. Physical distancing between one person and others must be maintained at all times and all citizens who access the offices will be sanitised for their safety and the safety of others.
Applications for the Special Relief Grant
- With regard to the special relief grant of R350 per month for the unemployed, we expect to go live for applications from Monday, 11 May 2020 and we expect to make our first batch of payments to approved beneficiaries by 15 May 2020. Applications may be made through the following channels:
Whatsapp: 082 0468 553
- SASSA is finalising the application platform which will be facilitated by volunteers and regional managers are finalising the lists of community development workers as well as the volunteers through NDA and NYDA. Training of these volunteers will take place as soon as everything is in place. The volunteers will then assist those in communities who do not have access to, or are unable to utilise technology to lodge the applications.
- For the initial implementation, payment will be through direct deposits into bank accounts or a money transfer to a mobile phone. Work is underway to ensure that the necessary checks and balances are in place to be able to account for the payments. SASSA is still considering various other voucher options, and the updates relating to these will follow in due course. However, the implementation of this intervention will not be unduly delayed. Continuous improvements will be effected as the programme is being implemented.