According to Forbes, studies have shown that less than one month into the New Year, fewer than 25% of people actually stay committed to their resolutions. Only 8% actually accomplish them. Dismal stats if you’re hoping to reinvent yourself in 2020.
But the usual ‘get fit’, ‘lose weight’, ‘stop smoking’,’ stick to a budget’, ‘spend less time on social media’ resolutions don’t work unless there is real commitment to change. One bad day and we’re back to bingeing on comfort food, ranting on Facebook and telling ourselves that we just can’t find the time to go for a run or hit the gym.
So, with 2020 looming on the horizon, here are five important things you can resolve to do that you will follow through on because they’re quick and easy:
- Make a Will. This is a task most of us put off again and again, because we’d rather not think about a time when we’re no longer around. But it is really important to get your affairs in order – especially if you have minor children.Knowing their future is secure, that your belongings and money will go to the right people (or a charity that’s close to your heart), and that your final wishes will be respected, leads to great peace of mind. So why not make an appointment with your banker, an attorney or your financial advisor and get this important task out of the way early in the New Year.
- Do something for someone else. Volunteer to help clean up the beach, a park or your neighbourhood – or help at an animal shelter or old age home. Research shows that pitching in regularly can lead to less stress and lower blood pressure – and release those ‘feel good’ endorphins, so you actually feel happier. Contact us on 031 332-3721 to find out about volunteering for just a couple of hours a week as a Tafta Meals on Wheels ‘hopper’.
- Set aside a few hours over the weekend to clean up and de-clutter your home. Being surrounded by mess and chaos ups your stress levels, and can actually encourage you to head for the cookie jar to cheer yourself up. Donate unwanted clothing, kitchen appliances, books, toys and décor items to a charity shop like Tafta’s Granny’s Attic; you’ll have the satisfaction of a neat and tidy home plus helping a worthy cause. Call them on 031 332 3721.
- Take a break! Most of us are under pressure to get more and more done in less time. Busyness has become a badge of honour; it’s almost like a competition to prove who worked the latest last night.Stop it! Spending long hours in front of the computer doesn’t make you more productive. Take your lunch break and use it to go for a walk around the block, sit in a park to eat your sarmies, or find a comfy chair and read a few pages of your book. You’ll find you get through more work, more efficiently afterwards – and you can leave the office on time!
- Plan your next holiday – even if it’s just a weekend away. Having something pleasant to look forward to can really lift your mood and boost happiness – especially if you’re holidaying with your partner or a group of friends. Set up a holiday WhatsApp group and keep reminding each other of the treat in store. As soon as you get back from your holiday, start planning the next one!